+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Licensing rules for Data Guard

  1. Licensing rules for Data Guard

    I'd like to try out Data Guard.

    - am I right that that it is not available as an option for Standard
    Edition, and is available only in Enterprise Edition?
    - is there anything within the code of Standard Ediiton that stops me trying
    it, or is it just an honour-based licensing system?

    The price differential between the versions is so vast that it is
    inconceivable that we could buy Enterprise Edition, so I'd like to find out
    the facts before wasting my time trying it.

    thanks
    Neil


  2. Re: Licensing rules for Data Guard

    "Neil Truby" wrote in
    news:6gqogcFh4tr3U1@mid.individual.net:

    > I'd like to try out Data Guard.
    >
    > - am I right that that it is not available as an option for Standard
    > Edition, and is available only in Enterprise Edition?


    Enterprise Edition only.

    > - is there anything within the code of Standard Ediiton that stops me
    > trying it, or is it just an honour-based licensing system?


    Code refuses with an error message "Option not available" or something, if
    you try to configure Data Guard under Standard Edition.

    >
    > The price differential between the versions is so vast that it is
    > inconceivable that we could buy Enterprise Edition, so I'd like to
    > find out the facts before wasting my time trying it.
    >


    I once learned all about Data Guard for a client, but when it was time to
    implement it we learned that the cost of Enterprise Edition was too much,
    and the project failed.


  3. Re: Licensing rules for Data Guard


    "Donkey Hottie" wrote in message
    news:Xns9AFDCC321BBABSH15SGybs1ysmajw54s5@194.100.2.89...
    > "Neil Truby" wrote in
    > news:6gqogcFh4tr3U1@mid.individual.net:
    >
    >> I'd like to try out Data Guard.
    >>
    >> - am I right that that it is not available as an option for Standard
    >> Edition, and is available only in Enterprise Edition?

    >
    > Enterprise Edition only.
    >
    >> - is there anything within the code of Standard Ediiton that stops me
    >> trying it, or is it just an honour-based licensing system?

    >
    > Code refuses with an error message "Option not available" or something, if
    > you try to configure Data Guard under Standard Edition.
    >
    >>
    >> The price differential between the versions is so vast that it is
    >> inconceivable that we could buy Enterprise Edition, so I'd like to
    >> find out the facts before wasting my time trying it.
    >>

    >
    > I once learned all about Data Guard for a client, but when it was time to
    > implement it we learned that the cost of Enterprise Edition was too much,
    > and the project failed.


    Thanks. That's a shame though. I guess I can't trial it.


  4. Re: Licensing rules for Data Guard

    "Neil Truby" wrote in
    news:6gr8bhFh0bqrU1@mid.individual.net:

    >
    > "Donkey Hottie" wrote in message
    > news:Xns9AFDCC321BBABSH15SGybs1ysmajw54s5@194.100.2.89...
    >> "Neil Truby" wrote in
    >> news:6gqogcFh4tr3U1@mid.individual.net:
    >>
    >>> I'd like to try out Data Guard.
    >>>
    >>> - am I right that that it is not available as an option for Standard
    >>> Edition, and is available only in Enterprise Edition?

    >>
    >> Enterprise Edition only.
    >>
    >>> - is there anything within the code of Standard Ediiton that stops
    >>> me trying it, or is it just an honour-based licensing system?

    >>
    >> Code refuses with an error message "Option not available" or
    >> something, if you try to configure Data Guard under Standard
    >> Edition.
    >>
    >>>
    >>> The price differential between the versions is so vast that it is
    >>> inconceivable that we could buy Enterprise Edition, so I'd like to
    >>> find out the facts before wasting my time trying it.
    >>>

    >>
    >> I once learned all about Data Guard for a client, but when it was
    >> time to implement it we learned that the cost of Enterprise Edition
    >> was too much, and the project failed.

    >
    > Thanks. That's a shame though. I guess I can't trial it.
    >
    >


    There is nothing to stop anyone from creating a remote standby database &
    manually shipping the redo log files from the primary to the standby and
    applying the changes. It trivial to implement.

  5. Re: Licensing rules for Data Guard

    On Aug 17, 9:50*am, "Neil Truby" wrote:
    > I'd like to try out Data Guard.
    >
    > - am I right that that it is not available as an option for Standard
    > Edition, and is available only in Enterprise Edition?
    > - is there anything within the code of Standard Ediiton that stops me trying
    > it, or is it just an honour-based licensing system?
    >
    > The price differential between the versions is so vast that it is
    > inconceivable that we could buy Enterprise Edition, so I'd like to find out
    > the facts before wasting my time trying it.
    >
    > thanks
    > Neil


    While the marketing and changes to the various different ways you can
    configure it ( aka Data Guard ) have increased over the years the
    ability to run a standby database has been around for a very long time
    in oracle.

    Check out the oracle documentation for the release you are interested
    in. Does it work? Yes. Are there some caveats and ways to configure
    yourself into non-optimal situations? Absolutely.

    Lots of people have written books about it also some better than
    others if you don't want to use the free doc from oracle.

    Do you have an OTN login? You can download EE version free and setup
    and test it out before deciding on a purchase.

  6. Re: Licensing rules for Data Guard

    Neil Truby wrote:
    >
    > "Donkey Hottie" wrote in message
    > news:Xns9AFDCC321BBABSH15SGybs1ysmajw54s5@194.100.2.89...
    >> "Neil Truby" wrote in
    >> news:6gqogcFh4tr3U1@mid.individual.net:
    >>
    >>> I'd like to try out Data Guard.
    >>>
    >>> - am I right that that it is not available as an option for Standard
    >>> Edition, and is available only in Enterprise Edition?

    >>
    >> Enterprise Edition only.
    >>
    >>> - is there anything within the code of Standard Ediiton that stops me
    >>> trying it, or is it just an honour-based licensing system?

    >>
    >> Code refuses with an error message "Option not available" or
    >> something, if
    >> you try to configure Data Guard under Standard Edition.
    >>
    >>>
    >>> The price differential between the versions is so vast that it is
    >>> inconceivable that we could buy Enterprise Edition, so I'd like to
    >>> find out the facts before wasting my time trying it.
    >>>

    >>
    >> I once learned all about Data Guard for a client, but when it was time to
    >> implement it we learned that the cost of Enterprise Edition was too much,
    >> and the project failed.

    >
    > Thanks. That's a shame though. I guess I can't trial it.


    Of course you can. Go to http://otn.oracle.com and click on downloads.

    Download Enterprise Edition ... it is free, undamaged, and does not expire.

    Oracle, unlike some companies, does not charge for possession of their
    software ... they charge for its commercial use.

    Also, unlike some software companies, Oracle trusts its customers. No
    question there is compliance verification as there should be. But what
    is important to many is the trust.
    --
    Daniel A. Morgan
    Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
    University of Washington
    damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
    Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
    www.psoug.org

  7. Re: Licensing rules for Data Guard

    "Ana C. Dent" wrote in message
    news:Xns9AFD7550B34ABanacedenthotmailcom@69.16.185.250...
    > "Neil Truby" wrote in
    > news:6gr8bhFh0bqrU1@mid.individual.net:
    >
    >>

    > There is nothing to stop anyone from creating a remote standby database &
    > manually shipping the redo log files from the primary to the standby and
    > applying the changes. It trivial to implement.


    Thanks for the reply.
    If I read correctly, the log shipping technique, which is as you say well
    documented on multiple sites, involves shipping archived, rather than
    active, re-do logs and therefore is certain to be minutes, rather than the
    max 5 seconds, out-of-phase that we need. Is that right?


  8. Re: Licensing rules for Data Guard

    "hpuxrac" wrote in message
    news:59351d20-2c23-48c3-be95-1c2b4b1e729e@z66g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
    On Aug 17, 9:50 am, "Neil Truby" wrote:
    > I'd like to try out Data Guard.
    >
    > - am I right that that it is not available as an option for Standard
    > Edition, and is available only in Enterprise Edition?
    > - is there anything within the code of Standard Ediiton that stops me
    > trying
    > it, or is it just an honour-based licensing system?
    >
    > The price differential between the versions is so vast that it is
    > inconceivable that we could buy Enterprise Edition, so I'd like to find
    > out
    > the facts before wasting my time trying it.
    >
    > thanks
    > Neil


    >> While the marketing and changes to the various different ways you can

    configure it ( aka Data Guard ) have increased over the years the
    ability to run a standby database has been around for a very long time
    in oracle.
    >> Check out the oracle documentation for the release you are interested

    in. Does it work? Yes. Are there some caveats and ways to configure
    yourself into non-optimal situations? Absolutely.

    Thanks for the reply.
    If I read correctly, the log shipping technique, which is well documented on
    multiple sites, involves shipping archived, rather than active, re-do logs
    and therefore is certain to be minutes, rather than the max 5 seconds,
    out-of-phase that we need.

    >> Do you have an OTN login? You can download EE version free and setup

    and test it out before deciding on a purchase.

    Thanks for the tip!


  9. Re: Licensing rules for Data Guard

    "Neil Truby" wrote in
    news:6greuoFgqk46U1@mid.individual.net:

    > Thanks for the reply.
    > If I read correctly, the log shipping technique, which is as you say
    > well documented on multiple sites, involves shipping archived, rather
    > than active, re-do logs and therefore is certain to be minutes, rather
    > than the max 5 seconds, out-of-phase that we need. Is that right?
    >
    >


    Correct. Previously a 15 minute cron job to switch log files & apply them
    to the standby was deemed an accepatble trade-off.

    You can have it Good, Fast, or Cheap; pick any 2 from preceeding list.

  10. Re: Licensing rules for Data Guard

    Neil Truby wrote:
    > "hpuxrac" wrote in message
    > news:59351d20-2c23-48c3-be95-1c2b4b1e729e@z66g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
    > On Aug 17, 9:50 am, "Neil Truby" wrote:
    >> I'd like to try out Data Guard.
    >>
    >> - am I right that that it is not available as an option for Standard
    >> Edition, and is available only in Enterprise Edition?
    >> - is there anything within the code of Standard Ediiton that stops me
    >> trying
    >> it, or is it just an honour-based licensing system?
    >>
    >> The price differential between the versions is so vast that it is
    >> inconceivable that we could buy Enterprise Edition, so I'd like to
    >> find out
    >> the facts before wasting my time trying it.
    >>
    >> thanks
    >> Neil

    >
    >>> While the marketing and changes to the various different ways you can

    > configure it ( aka Data Guard ) have increased over the years the
    > ability to run a standby database has been around for a very long time
    > in oracle.
    >>> Check out the oracle documentation for the release you are interested

    > in. Does it work? Yes. Are there some caveats and ways to configure
    > yourself into non-optimal situations? Absolutely.
    >
    > Thanks for the reply.
    > If I read correctly, the log shipping technique, which is well
    > documented on multiple sites, involves shipping archived, rather than
    > active, re-do logs and therefore is certain to be minutes, rather than
    > the max 5 seconds, out-of-phase that we need.
    >
    >>> Do you have an OTN login? You can download EE version free and setup

    > and test it out before deciding on a purchase.
    >
    > Thanks for the tip!


    Keep in mind the difference in price between SE and EE is entirely
    dependent upon your ability to negotiate with your Oracle sales rep.
    Oracle has list prices (http://store.oracle.com) but those are merely
    the beginning point for negotiations.

    Depending on the volume of log files being shipped best practice is
    to do the shipping on a separate NIC card using a private network.
    You can find configuration files here:
    http://www.psoug.org/reference/data_guard.html
    that may help you setting it up.
    --
    Daniel A. Morgan
    Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
    University of Washington
    damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
    Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
    www.psoug.org

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast